Sustainability Series Workshop on Food Waste – 18th October
Sustainability Series Workshop on Food Waste
A participatory workshop to inform and engage participants in a discussion about sustainability and food waste.
In some places such as South Africa, the US and Ireland, there is still a poor public perception of Energy-from-Waste. Lack of transparency during the decision-making process or not inviting residents and stakeholders to be part of the project as well as lack of information exchange between the operators and the clients may lead to poor public acceptance. Developing scientifically based sustainability metrics to give a sound basis for the discussions might also facilitate greater acceptance. Further, a proper decision framework integrating all the main aspects of sustainability (economy, environment and social) is an enabler to ensure that the developed strategies are not sub-optimized in favour of short-term solutions. This workshop series combines informative workshops on regionally relevant waste management systems with the participation of stakeholders in development of a life cycle sustainability framework to consider the most relevant sustainability indicators. The workshop series will identify sustainability indicators to be considered in the Task 36 work programme including the Case Study on Environmental performance of different waste management strategies and the Report on Sustainability.
- 10:00 – 10:05 – IEA Bioenergy Task 36 Introduction – Dr Mar Edo (RISE Research Institutes of Sweden)
- 10:05 – 10:15 – Life cycle sustainability assessment of waste management systems – Workshop Introduction – Dr Fionnuala Murphy (University College Dublin)
- 10:15 – 10:35 – More than food: the social impact of food waste and benefits of food redistribution – Angela Ruttledge (FoodCloud)
- 10:35 – 10:55 – Value chain impacts of food waste and opportunities for food waste reduction across the value chain – Dr Tracey O’Connor (Munster Technological University)
- 10:55 – 11:15 – The environmental impacts of food waste and food waste reduction strategies – Dr Tamiris da Costa (University College Dublin)
- 11:15 – 11:45 – Panel Discussion and Survey of Workshop Participants
- 11:45 – Tea/coffee
Date & Timing: Wednesday 18th October 2023 10 am to 12:30 pm (UTC+1)
Meeting location: MoLI – Museum of Literature Ireland, 86 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2 and Online
More information: firstname.lastname@example.org